Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My New Challenge

My new challenge for 2009 is teaching my 22 years old son Chinese. He has Grade 3 Chinese from extra-curriculum.

I started by teaching him "The Three Words Sutra" 《三字經》…人之初,性本善。He found it a bit too advance, so I am now teaching him "The Prajna Paramita Heart Sutra" 《般若波羅蜜多心經》 instead.

He could recite The Prajna Paramita Heart Sutra in Chinese and in English when he was a teenager. Therefore, for him to learn the Chinese words, is not too difficult, he can pair each pronunciation with each Chinese character. And he can understand the overall meaning with the recitation of the Sutra in English. How convenient.

Now I see how I can ripe my fruit of spending endless hours forcing my kids to recite Sutra. Like many things in life, only time can tell the benefits. Also you need to apply wisdom (Prajna) to accelerate and magnify the earnings.

--

1 comment:

Antoinette Tsang said...

I really like this entry! The outcome of many things in life aren't apparent until much later.